Valerie Schlosser, SEO expert and Supervising Media Designer for Barkley, sits down with M&C to talk Google Grants for nonprofits and taking advantage of corporate volunteering opportunities.
In addition to her work at Barkley, Valerie serves as president for the board of the Metropolitan Ensemble Theatre and as a dedicated volunteer at the Rose Brooks Center. She’s also volunteered for the KC Pet Project and Big Brothers Big Sisters of Kansas City.
GEMS FROM VALERIE
There are tons of nonprofits in Kansas City to get involved with. If your company offers volunteer hours, take advantage of them and spend time volunteering for several different organizations till you find the one that’s right for you.
People think they don’t have the time, or they’re too busy for volunteering. But when you find the organization that really answers something in you, you’ll make the time.
VALERIE’S FIVE MAIN TAKE-AWAYS
1. Every nonprofit can benefit from a Google Grant. Everyone searches, so take advantage of the opportunity, if only to bid on your brand. You may be appearing organically for your brand name, but two results are better than one!
2. Take advantage, but don’t forget to measure. Use Google Analytics or whatever analytics tool you’re comfortable with to measure success.
3. Know what success is. Are you driving sales? Donations? Awareness? Or are you just monitoring site traffic?
4. At minimum, have basic SEO best practices in place. Moz.com is a wonderful place to learn—there is endless material here.
5. For all things search-engine, visit searchengineland.com and sign up for their daily newsletter.